Planning your wedding day can be equal parts exciting and daunting. There is so much variety out there that you would want to have a sense of what you like and dislike early on, to make the process less confusing.
The first thing that you would need to decide on is your wedding venue, as this will be one of your big-ticket items, however, in order to choose the right venue, you will need to know how big your wedding party will be.
Most often, beautiful places have gloomy conference-room looking venues that they hire out for weddings, or they have perfect rooms for 50 guests and you want 100. There is a way around it though, so do not get despondent. A Marquee can be, pretty much, set up anywhere.
Whether it’s a nice, flat piece of lawn or a rolling hilltop, with the help of our decking system to level out the surface, we can literally build anywhere.
Our 8 Golden Rules for the Perfect Marquee Wedding:
1. To drape or to transparent – depending on the style you are going for, you will lean more to one over the other.A draped marquee is soft and romantic, an old classic. The style of draping will affect the look. You can choose from a flat and neat look or ruffled and gathered draping. A transparent marquee is a hot favourite this season; it’s a little edgy, modern and chic. It incorporates the outside landscape into your decor
2. Lighting in a marque wedding is key to bringing out the magic. Fairy lights or low hanging chandeliers will create a soft and aesthetically pleasing glow inside. Position LED light globes or hurricane lanterns along the pathways and; use string lights and parcan lights to light up the surrounding trees
3. Flooring is not always essential, but a great lawn is. Do, however, consider that you, the bride, and most of your lady guests will be wearing their most beautiful heels. A dance floor is crucial to set the party tone. The options are endless from a rustic painted wooden floor all the way to an extravagant LED lit, custom designed dance floor
4. Size of a marquee – Rule-of-thumb for a marquee wedding is 2sqm per person. To explain in basic terms – if you have 100 guests and you hire a marquee that is 200sqm, you will have enough space for your tables, a bar, a dance floor, a small lounge pocket and a small stage/ DJ booth. We will provide a to-scale layout to assist with this, removing any guesswork
5. Marquee weddings and weather –when it comes to hosting a marquee wedding there are various factors that will need thorough consideration… what if the 'Cape Doctor' is in town, or it rains or there’s a heat wave – all are, as equally predictable, as a perfect summers’ day. Make sure you have all your bases covered and check the weather forecast in the weeks leading up to your big day. Have a Plan B – Change your marquee sides to glass; hire umbrellas for the walk from the car to the reception, have Air Conditioning on standby. Having a Plan B beats lastminute.com every time
6. Just-so…. Because having a marquee wedding is akin to starting with a blank canvas you can have absolutely anything that is available on the market when it comes to reception chairs, what kind of tables you want, where you want the dance floor to be, how you want to enter the room, what kind of lights you prefer, do you want a lounge pocket under the trees, do you want a specific cuisine -get the best caterer to make the perfect meal experience – literally, the world is your oyster
7. Lead times and strike times – usually a venue will charge per day for the use of their venue. If a marquee is required, do take into account that the load-in and build of the marquee can take several days depending on size and requirements, afterwards comes the furniture, AV, décor and floral. Then the reverse after the wedding, all internals first then the structures.You could be looking at 4 days from load-in to load-out
8. Check what the venue has available for you to utilize, do they have a kitchen that the caterers can use, are the washrooms close by or will you need to hire-in cabins? Is there sufficient power to your specific location or will you need to get a generator?
Whatever you are planning to do, make sure you have a concise check list, or better yet hire a Wedding Planner that is a seasoned professional. There are many variables that may be underestimated and overlooked while planning your wedding. Even the most astute wedding planning aspirant can hit a snafu. With our help and our handy checklist above you are sure to have a perfect marquee wedding.